Author Topic: Bushells Coffee & Chicory steak rub  (Read 657 times)

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
Bushells Coffee & Chicory steak rub
« on: December 31, 2016, 09:40:20 AM »
Bit of background info on how I came about to use this.
Like it or hate it, Steak houses often use a product called Parisian Essence to colour steaks that are billed as 18 hr cooked. (We all know who that is)
Parisian essence is some kind of burned sugar essence and has colouring properties.
Having known this for many years, I was always on the lookout for an alternative that wasn't just a colouring, But added beefy flavour.
Past threads have proven that coffee goes hand in hand with a nice roast beef.
I've been happy following the Aussiecue members recipes.
Then I stumbled on it,,, Its been there on the shelves for several decades.
My mind ticked over and a bottle was in the basket.
This stuff has everything in it required to get a bark happening.
Coffee, caramels and flavour.
Simply add SPG and I had a seriously good rub.
DSC01760 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

On a rump cap I rubbed the Coffee & Chicory essence all over, Dusted with salt pepper and garlic then wrapped in cling wrap and into the fridge for a few hours.
DSC01762 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

I decided to reverse sear to really test out the liquid coffee colouring abilities.
Pic below shows the roast removed after an internal temp of about 42C from the bbq set at 70C (three hours)
I was also testing the steak mate temp probe and its actually a good thing.
DSC01763 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

Then I turned up the bbq to 200c and put the vegies on until they were just about done.
I then made a further baste the same as the rub but with some oil.
Now cooking direct, The rump was slathered in baste and grilled to bring the internal temp up to 52c. The steak mate played the game well, It told me when to remove for resting. Even though I was monitoring everything with the thermopen.
DSC01764 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

After resting tented, Again the little magic probe said "Its done" at the target 54C for medium rare.
Fuzzy pic but look at that colour  :o
DSC01766 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

Never waste flavour,, Roast vege gravy
DSC01767 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

Sliced and plated
DSC01768 by Mike Nash, on Flickr
DSC01769 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

Personally, This has to be one of the best beef rubs I have ever tasted. Its simple, Fast and cheap. A great alternative to soy sauce, As good as that is.
I also cannot find anything on the web about it being used as a steak seasoning so had to fly blind but with determination.  If anyone knows more about it, Let us know  8)
The kids also discovered is makes great iced coffee milk,,, So I will have to restock  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:50:26 AM by Smokey »

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
  • Vegetarian is old tribal word for bad hunter
    • View Profile
Re: Bushells Coffee & Chicory steak rub
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 12:32:15 PM »
That looks brilliant. Haven't seen that stuff in years, my grandparents lived on the stuff and if remember rightly there was also a version mixed with condensed milk to make a sweet instant coffee.

Definitely going to give this a try, pity I ended up giving my steak probes away.

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
You don't need those probes Gus, They only confirm what you already know.
No match for an instant read thermopen but great for someone that is not right into our sport.  I will give mine away too where they could be of use.

Cookie

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 05:36:50 AM »
Chicory

Brings back horrible memories of coffee too many years ago.

Keith :) :)
Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do. Keith: many years ago.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 09:29:21 AM »
G'day
I've a bottle of Queen brand Parisian essence in my pantry. Never put it on cooking meat though. It's my go to for darkening up a light coloured gravy.
The coffee and chickory sounds interesting. I didn't think it was still avaliable. Thought it died out with my Nan's generation. The chickory was to boast up the coffee ration in WW11. I'm sure nan said it didn't taste at all like coffee by itself but added to coffee was ok. She drank instant Harris coffe black but made the chickory coffee on boiled milk. The top formed a skin of milk proteins that you don't get with steam heated and fluffed milk.
Recon I'll check out woolies they tend to stock more diferent brands than Coles. (Is it me or are they really doing the Aldi less lines less staff thing)
Regards dave
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:33:08 AM by Cobblerdave »

chrisg

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »

G'day
I've a bottle of Queen brand Parisian essence in my pantry. Never put it on cooking meat though. It's my go to for darkening up a light coloured gravy.
The coffee and chickory sounds interesting. I didn't think it was still avaliable. Thought it died out with my Nan's generation. The chickory was to boast up the coffee ration in WW11. I'm sure nan said it didn't taste at all like coffee by itself but added to coffee was ok. She drank instant Harris coffe black but made the chickory coffee on boiled milk. The top formed a skin of milk proteins that you don't get with steam heated and fluffed milk.
Recon I'll check out woolies they tend to stock more diferent brands than Coles. (Is it me or are they really doing the Aldi less lines less staff thing)
Regards dave

:) I always keep Parisian around for the same reason Dave, bit of a family thing but  I never care what brand and it lasts ages anyway'

I haven't looked because I quit the coffee thing a while back but my grandparents were devotees of Camp which I think was a WWII thing and I think it is still around.

Cheers
The kettle is king the Q is quick

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 12:46:34 PM »
 :)
OK,,,, It does not taste like a lousy cup of coffee,,,, Just put that out of your minds  :-X
Magic does happen in the culinary world.  Give it a try  ;)

Cookie

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 04:28:10 AM »
Smokey

I was referring to the Chicory Coffee not what it was used for.

The Phillip Island chicory industry started in 1878 and John Ratford spent a season there in 1895 to learn about it. He then introduced it to French Island where it became the main source of income for over 70 years. The Bayview chicory kiln was built in 1896-97 and was the second kiln built on the Island. In the 1890s, there was chicory planting and some 30 chicory kilns were established. The Bayview chicory kiln is now the oldest one remaining.

French Island is only a short car drive and ferry boat away today.
It was bottled sold by Moran and Cato Fitzroy.   I am an old Fitzroy boy and my sister worked there.

Keith :) :)

Keith
Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do. Keith: many years ago.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »
G'day smokie
Guess what I found at woolies. I opened it work and the first smell I could tell what you have been talking about. Some salt and pepper and that's a great rub for beef. Can't believe that chickory gives it a real beefy aroma!
Haven't got a day off for a week now. Recon I'll get some beef short ribs and give this a go.
Regards dave

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 11:31:08 AM »
 :) Good stuff.
I reckon this stuff will help get a good sear for those that like a rare or bleu steak from a bbq that is a little on the cool side.  Yet to test that.  Someone else may have to test.
Will go great on the beefies  8)
Just wait until word gets out  ;)   Once the "Pit masters" and circuit pro's pick up on it remember, You took the first leap of faith  ;D

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »
G'day
Got those beef ribs and into the fridge Tuesday rubbed with the chickory and coffee. Wednesday went to custard when I broke an O ring replacing a fuel
Filter on the ute and got stuck in Fernvale looking for a replacement.Ran out of time to get them onto a BBQ for low and slow.
Next best thing got them into the slow cooker Thursday. Finally got to taste them late tonight after Thursday night trading. Tasted pretty bloody good I might add. Only used the chickory/ coffee, salt and pepper. Amazing colour for something out of s croc pot!
Regards dave