Author Topic: Duck Confit  (Read 419 times)

Ozymandias

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Duck Confit
« on: November 26, 2015, 04:44:38 AM »
Cole's offer was way too good to miss, so I bought two with the intention of making confit.
As you probably know, confit is a method where pieces of meat are slow cooked in fat, traditionally fat from the same animal, but olive oil can also be used. No need to use the real expensive extra virgin oil, though.

In the past, the cooked meat remained in the fat it was cooked in, allowing it to preserve for long periods. In our times, confit meats can be removed from the fat and stored in fridge or freezer. The fat itself can be collected, strained and reused in other batches, or it can season your roast potatoes

Ingredients

Duck Legs
Salt - Lots
Pepper
Garlic
Rosemary
Thyme
Duck fat / Mix of Duck fat and Olive oil.

Method

Mix the ingredients of the dry brine and liberally apply it to the duck legs. Refrigerate overnight allowing the liquids to drain.
Next morning, rinse the duck legs to remove the dry brine completely and pat dry. Place the leg in a slow cooker or an oven proof dish and cover with the fat. Cook in low temp till meat is done and almost falling off the bone.

Besides duck legs, you can make confit with other meats. In my country, pork shoulder pieces are quite common. They are called "syglino"
You can cook it in the slow cooker, the oven or the bbq at low temp. If done in the bbq, a bit of smoke can be added, especially to pork confit. 
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings.
Look upon my works, ye mighty and despair
~Percival Shelley~

osdave

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
Re: Duck Confit
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:27:47 AM »
I think I'll give this a go.

i got the missus to grab two Coles ducks with the intention of doing something on Saturday.

dave

Geoffo

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Duck Confit
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:57:39 AM »
Ive got this penned in for Sunday... If this duck actually defrosts by then