Author Topic: Charcoal spit  (Read 211 times)

Meat Addict72

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
Charcoal spit
« on: September 04, 2017, 11:22:07 AM »
This is my little beauty, 3 rods that hold 2.2kgs of meat each, grill rack, skewer rotisserie, 240v motor and battery motor(1 D size), adjustable hight, and collapsible!
smoke it, cure it, ferment it, emulsify it, roast it, char grill it, EAT IT!!!!!!!

Meat Addict72

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
Re: Charcoal spit
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:30:11 AM »
 ;)
smoke it, cure it, ferment it, emulsify it, roast it, char grill it, EAT IT!!!!!!!

chrisg

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 01:19:31 PM »
 :)

Nice, I wish, the wife would kill me :)

Cheers
The kettle is king the Q is quick

Ozymandias

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »
Believe it or not there's a company in Oz that imports a grill made in Greece that has an ingenious rotating mechanism both for long and shorter spits.

Not sure if it's worth buying or not as I seldom cook stuff on a spit, but it's definitely worth a look.

I will find the address and post it here or in the relevant part of the forum
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings.
Look upon my works, ye mighty and despair
~Percival Shelley~

Bill44

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:48:45 AM »
I love using the spit, a 2.2Kg brined chicken, 8 big chunks of charcoal, 2hrs time, and hey presto fall apart chicken dinner for 2 and enough left over for quite a few sangers.
The fattest Knight at the round table was Sir Cumference, that came from eating too much pi.

Geoffo

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:41:51 AM »
Nice Spit ;)

I love watching the meat roll round with a quiet beer. Great BBQ theatre

Still Cue'in

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 06:38:57 AM »
Do you just carve as you go or cook it through and stop it?
Ive only ever had a whole lamb that was carve as you go and a chicken shwarma same deal

Constant brown bits FTW

Meat Addict72

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 09:10:17 AM »
I brought it through a Greek company I worked for, Its  a Cypriot charcoal spit that they import. And yes, theres something hypnotic that draws men and beer together!. I never "carve as you go" I always rest my meat properly before carving. BUT......always put a "NibbleStick on so the main event can do its thing. I get killer meat ends from work, bacon, ham, beef, chicken, whatever and just heat it up with a mandatory beer!!  ;D

Gatsby

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »
Got one of these & love it.
What are the large disc's in the first photo?  Assume they are to push the meat together - just haven't seen them before.
Need to work on using the skewer rotisserie - I do some different skewers just never seem to remember this attachment at the time...

Cheers

Meat Addict72

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 06:48:24 AM »
Got one of these & love it.
What are the large disc's in the first photo?  Assume they are to push the meat together - just haven't seen them before.
Need to work on using the skewer rotisserie - I do some different skewers just never seem to remember this attachment at the time...

Cheers
ha ha, yeah Iv had it for 4-5 years and I reckon 6 months ago I gave the skewers a go, worked great. Made up a heap of diced meat and veg and we all sat around making our own skewers. The discs are for yiros/souvlaki meat, I do chicken and lamb and with a secret blend of spices marinated over night and thread them on and away you go!

Gatsby

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 11:26:55 PM »
So - went on a hunt yesterday for some disc's - found the place I bought it from4 years ago - wow time flies.
Cyprus Grills - main name is "The BBQ Store".  Found out they have a physical shop in Sydney & picked up some accessories.
Thought you might be interested
a. Charcoal tray - metal tray insert into the base.  Mine is a bit rusty & this should extend the life span
b. Canvas Cover - again another attempt to extend the life
c. Mini 4 prong Forks - for small chunks of meat
d. Double sided & Single sided 2 Prong forks - also for small bits of meat
e. Disc's - coming soon arrive in a couple of weeks
f. Triple skewer for - also in a couple of weeks.  I've found some skewer meats rotate around the skewer - hope this stops that

Cheers

Meat Addict72

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 01:37:30 AM »
nice, first thing I did was get hold of a piece of sheet stainless steel for the bottom of mine to help prolong its life. Yeah you can get an amazing array of accessories, The place I go in Adelaide Is Gaganis Bros, they have all that and Iv even seen adjustable counter weights to balance your spit rods  ;)

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 07:28:32 AM »
G'day
Don't have a charcoal rotti but have one fitted to a Weber Q200. Gives you a lovely roast the drips on the hot grill gives you s great flavour.
Favourite accessory would be the basket by far. Allows you to cook other things than large pieces of meat. Favourite is chicken pieces and veg. As long as they are roughly the same size your good!
Regards dave
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 07:30:31 AM by Cobblerdave »

Meat Addict72

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »
Yum, looks great! Cant beat charcoal/fire/smokey goodness

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
G'day
It's gas but what the heck you can cheat.
This is my banksia nut burner plate above the gas burner but under the grill bars.
Works on lower temps than a box or aluminium packet on the grill bar.
Regards dave