Author Topic: How to Buy a Wok  (Read 43 times)

Cookie

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
How to Buy a Wok
« on: August 27, 2017, 01:51:27 AM »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:53:04 AM by Cookie »
Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do. Keith: many years ago.

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: How to Buy a Wok
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 02:55:02 AM »
My wok is 30 years old with a wooden handle
It probably was pressed maybe spun ???
I dont push stuff up the side much as I cook the meat first then remove it and do the rest before re adding the meat.
Most Asian restaurants blanch the meat in oil and then return it back to the rest of the ingredients.
I would like to do this but its impractical with my set up and not as healthy and Im still pretty bloody happy with what I get out of it.
Though a Vietnamese chilli beef I love in Melbourne Im sure can only be done this way (I save it for my Melbourne trips)

The Woks been great for most of its life but when I got the rambo wok burner its become excellent

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 02:58:27 AM »
Thanks cookie
Great post
A wok ring is on my wish list my old steel wok still up to the task after 25 odd years
Regards dave

Cookie

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 04:35:44 AM »
When I had the old 5 burner BBQ.  One of the grill plates could be replaced with a solid plate with a big round hole for a wok.   I could easily take out a long burner and replaced it with a big double ring burner.   It was a monster of a wok more of a commercial one.  It  got very hot practically instantly.

The gas ring was also very useful to melt lead when I was making my own fishing sinkers.

Keith :) :)
Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do. Keith: many years ago.