Author Topic: NP compliant fire pits  (Read 366 times)

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
NP compliant fire pits
« on: August 22, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »
I've a question for those that 4x4 tour.
I just pulled the trigger on a new Dmax ute that I will be fitting out for pure touring.
One of the first things that is on the list is, Of course the fire.
To my thinking you have crown land, State forest and national parks.
As well as the you have private parks such as caravan parks.
All have various rules, or no rules at all in regards to what type of fire one can have.
The more I dig into it the more I read of national parks requiring enclosed fires with flues and spark arrestors. 
One such manufacture that claims to be NP compliant is Ozpig pot belly style cookers.
Has anyone been down this road before?

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
  • Vegetarian is old tribal word for bad hunter
    • View Profile
Re: NP compliant fire pits
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 12:41:46 PM »
I've had the same ideas and concerns about doing some touring with my boys and the biggest issue is the regular solid fuel fire bans in National Parks.

Caused predominantly by imbeciles that have ruined it for the rest of us, I have seen it first hand and can't blame NPWS for being forced to ban fireplaces. There are people out there that have less than no clue and are allowed to breed, vote and drive and their actions impact all of us.

Down my way the camping areas and caravan parks are going the same direction too.

I'd take a home made version of the recycled gas cylinder cooker for sure (and there's plenty of good ideas around in the grey nomad forms)  but always back it up with enough LPG cooking capacity to cover the number of people in the group. Also covers the total fire ban days.

Fire in free camps,caravan parks, State Forests and National Parks where allowed and gas when necessary.

If you're setting up a vehicle specifically for camping go with options built in for quick easy gas feeds because some days will require it. They are the 6 inches of rain in 6 hours days when nothing will burn.

The D max is a good choice too I've got one for a work vehicle and am very impressed. I like it better than the Ranger I had last and it's way more affordable than a new Tojo dual cab.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:46:17 PM by Gus65 »

Geoffo

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:16:10 PM »
I cant really help on this one, in summer WA has blanket bans on open fires in all the camping spots I know of. Period. Usually until april. Im not really one to head out in the cold and wet anyways, prefer to follow the heat.

Still Cue'in

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:15:04 AM »
G'day
http://smokefireandfood.com/forum/index.php?thread/658-gas-bottle-bbq/
Seen this ages ago and would of love to make one.
Funny you should buy a new ute smokey.
After seeing the pics of your road trip I decieded to to get rid of the old 2 wheel tojo. 22 year old 465000 km think it was time.
Brought a low km ranger. Long range tank,canopy, side steps, bull bar.
Told I was been Layed off 2 days ago so I'll get an unforced holiday it seems to use it.
Regards dave
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:19:02 AM by Cobblerdave »

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:43:15 AM »
Bugger Dave  ???
Hope things work out on the job front mate.
Might see you on the tracks mate, we are talking about a Morton Is trip coming up  ;)
I have a now out of date 9kg bottle that I intended to make something similar to that link. But then I found info that NP's require more then an open design like that one, even in non fire ban periods.
However, The idea is to have a fire that can be sat around, An ozpig would suck for that.
My idea was to cut it like a clam shell up on legs for a full open pit that I can throw a grill on for more cooking area.
Gus and Geoff, I guess I will be in the market for a Baby Q or such  :) I have a decent HD box trailer that I'm contemplating turning into a camp carrier/kitchen without a sleeper bed in it. 
Re the Izuzu, I was impressed with my brothers rig when we did the Frazer Island trip. That and it has to last another 15+ years so the motor itself made more sense then the slightly cheaper but more harder worked triton that was my only other option buying new. 

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »
Guday

Might come In handy.
Regards dave

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »
I have a decent HD box trailer that I'm contemplating turning into a camp carrier/kitchen without a sleeper bed in it. 

If you want to do some really serious off road travelling you could look at what a guy down here did a few years ago.

He took the front axle and diff assembly complete with free wheeling hubs out of an old Landcruiser and stuck it under his trailer, then he connected a winch motor to it and wired it up to run off the car and a dual battery set up on the trailer itself . So when the tracks where super steep he could flick a switch on the dash and the trailer would add to the drive line and when he towed it with his hilux the gearing was slightly different so the trailer actually pushed.

When he got home he unplugged it from the hilux turned on the trailer batteries and flicked a switch to put the winch in reverse. The trailer drove itself around his yard to where he stored it all he had to do was steer it.

It was heavy because it had camping and cooking gear plus tables, chairs and all the cutlery and plates etc for up to 20 odd people stored on it. I nearly bought it off him when I was planning to set up a Tag-along tour business but that didn't eventuate.

Unfortunately he passed away and I have no idea where the brilliant idea trailer ended up and if he had any drawings or plans for it.

But it's an idea that some clever engineer/ mechanic could probably make.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 09:19:31 AM »
G'day
This is not yet in my local bunnings but the Bro sent me this
https://www.bunnings.com.au/wooshka-wood-fired-outdoor-stove_p3171613
I just can't figure it out...
The oz pig,the local bloke I bought my last battery has them I'd like to see one "in the flesh".
Yes I'm one for the home build... but .. again you get what you pay for....
Regards dave

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 07:55:51 AM »
Say, That looks like an exellent camp cooker.  Have a go at the smoker box accessory.
It looks like you swing it over or away for heat control. I wonder if the wood smoke goes into the cook chamber.
I will have a close up look at one of these.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 09:15:44 AM »
G'day smokie
Recon I'll check out bunnings when they come in. Meanwhile I'm going to drop into the battery place in wynnum to check out the oz pig.
Regards dave

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »
Only thing that has stopped me buying an ozpig is that its a fully contained fire. Sure you can open the front door but only one or two people can stair at the fire through a hole.  Last trip we did we had six people. And we like to sit around a fire cowboy stile.  I used my brahman spit for the job but it was totally ruined by the heat and fell to bits. Keen to have a good look over of the bunnies job. If its crap thin gage, I will pass on it but here is hoping  :)

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 02:57:04 AM »
Here's a few ideas for DIY ones.

http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com/t63501895/fireplace-from-gas-cylinder/

Another excuse to spend a few hours in the shed with beer and power tools.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 10:17:47 AM »
Only thing that has stopped me buying an ozpig is that its a fully contained fire. Sure you can open the front door but only one or two people can stair at the fire through a hole.  Last trip we did we had six people. And we like to sit around a fire cowboy stile.  I used my brahman spit for the job but it was totally ruined by the heat and fell to bits. Keen to have a good look over of the bunnies job. If its crap thin gage, I will pass on it but here is hoping  :)
G'day smokie
Seen one today, yep that's a little hole for 6 people to huddle around to catch a glimpse of flame. They had heaps of accessories recon that's where the money is made and fair enough you can't give em away for free.
Checked out bunnings at cannon hill for the wooska. Never heard of it show them the link. They were pretty interested and reconned they would see them within weeks.
Me I'm on the hunt for a 9 kg bottle turn it into a small fire. Recon that's a priority as well as most camping spots you need to bring in you own wood these days as the local surrounds are pretty denuded of timber. Not good for the  local inviroment.
Last time we camped with some friends at thier favorite camp spot we took a stack of those stripped zip up bags from the cheaply stores. They make the best garbage bags for camping as they are tough.
We did a clean up of the local surrounds. It's amazing what starts to collect and a good clean only encourages people to keep it clean. A dirty site means no one cares. I know grubs are always there but more people do the righty
Regards dave 

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 06:56:44 AM »
Decided I'd have a crack at making one too and settled on using the picture below as a base design and then fell on my feet big time.

Went to the tip to get rid of the recycling and saw a few gas cylinders sitting in the new section they've built and asked the guy what they do with them. Apparently the council has to pay someone to take them away so I offered to get rid of one for him and was given to OK.

Grabbed the first one I could reach and it wasn't in too bad a condition. When I got it home and started to get ready to take the valve out I checked and it's still full.

Couple of years out of test but it'll do for a couple of months on the gasser then up to the shed for it's appointment with the angle grinder and welder to become one of these.