Author Topic: Sous Vide  (Read 91 times)

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Sous Vide
« on: August 18, 2017, 03:35:41 AM »
Hi All,
Does anyone have a Sous Vide immersion circulator. Do you use them much and are they any good?
I see Anova have $ 100 off at the moment on theirs. Whats the best brand?

Cheers.

Geoffo

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Sous Vide
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 04:07:05 AM »
I have an anova, although I only used it a few times before going into storage. Its a good thing although somewhat boring to cook with.

Still Cue'in

chrisg

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:18:52 AM »
Hmm,

I don't actually know where mine is, or what brand :)

I pretty much agree with Geoffo, somewhat boring.

There are in a way four levels of cooking indoors, SV, slow cooker, oven, turbo. There's also the radar range, but I rarely cooking anything but frozen veg in there anyway :) Then there is our favorite, BBQ of course, but outdoors is different :)

I sort of wander around the choices on a weekly basis but it has not included the SV in so long that as I say I have no idea where it is, possibly my mother has it, she goes on fads a lot :)

It's a different way to cook, but I think most around this forum prefer fire ;)

Cheers

The kettle is king the Q is quick

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
  • Vegetarian is old tribal word for bad hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 06:58:08 AM »
For a long time I thought I needed a sou vide machine and was constantly threatened with all sorts of diabolical types of injuries if I brought another cooking gadget into the house.

I could probably have got away with something like the Annova rather than the whole bath with lid machine but I'm not going to risk it for something I probably wouldn't use that often anyway.

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 07:54:17 AM »
I walked past one going cheap in Aldi,dont regret it.
Nice to have but I prefer art to science when I cook

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 08:08:01 AM »
Years ago, I bought a "Sous vid and Sad to say that it turned out to be a bit of a forum fad in my case. I might use it once a year if something I want to cook requires it.
It is boring cooking but it is interesting re the time and ultra low heat cooking,
So I suppose I did learn a few things from it.
Sometimes I will use the term to describe ultra low bbq cooking such as a big rump roast sitting in a bbq set at 65C for 20+ hours "The sous vid of bbq"
As for steaks?, I found that I prefer them reverse seared in a bbq with smoke so they dry out on the outside before flash searing.  With Souse vid, They come out wet and gloopy before searing.  And not a lot of time to get any smokey bbq flavour into them.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 09:25:46 AM »
G'day
As you know I love my toys, so the idea of another,  well always appeals. But like a lot have said perhaps it's only a fad. Another little used toy to take up cupboard space.
I'm sorta court up in the apeal of the "hogs breath" steak slow cooked steak but as smokey pointed out you can get the same results with a reverse sear. 
I'm listening to any sous vid experiences but now..
Regards dave

Geoffo

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
From my experience if you want to break something down you are lookin at 12 to 24hrs. I did a lamb shoulder for 14hrs and it was nowhere near there. Plus= you can add flavors to the bag and cook, negatives it takes bloody ages and the thing holds temp perfectly on its own.
My best cooks were simple stuff like chicken breast, lamb forquarter chops etc. Though sous vide eggs are pretty special

Still Cue'in

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 11:41:42 AM »
Thanks guys,
When I think about it ,Prob's just another thing that would only be used now and then.

cheers