Author Topic: Slow N Sear  (Read 167 times)

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Slow N Sear
« on: July 19, 2017, 04:01:56 AM »
Hi All,

Anyone reckon they could make one? I think they cost about $255 in Australia.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Slow N Sear
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 09:01:29 AM »
G'day
Back in the day, I used to put 2 oblong cake tins full of water in the middle. Charcoal ( 6 pack a potato bag)  on one side roast on the other. Charcoal was refurbished from an oversized tomato tin from work full of holes on a couple of bricks. Must admit to using zippo lighter fluid to start it. Could get dangerous when mixed with beer!
You could just try a few clay pressed pavers stacked in the middle as well then It will give time to find someone to make one for you at a reasonable price!
Regards dave

Geoffo

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 10:26:50 PM »
I recall seeing Ozy use one of these recently, he would be the guy to ask.
Im with the Cobbler here, a paver or two and a couple trays will set you up any way needed.

Still Cue'in

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 12:04:44 AM »
Yeah it doesn't make sense to me that if you can pick up a kettle second hand on Gumtree for say $50 bucks, then to go out and by an accessory for $255.

I saw a you tube video of a guy who got some flat sheet and cut a curve at one end to suit the curve of the kettle bowl .
It buts to the end of the kettle on the coals grate ,then comes across and covers about two thirds of the grate. Then has a 90 degree vertical upstand bend of about 4.5 inches to the under side of cooking grill.That last third area then replicates the slow and sear area where the charcoal goes.

It gives side protection from direct heat and the bottom of it reflects and radiates indirect heat flow back up under the meat, and out the top vent. So add your water pan and it will do the same nearly as the slow and sear.

The only thing I can see that the slow and sear would do better is protect/shield the side of the kettle bowl from the banked up hot coals. Probably save you paint work longer.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:16:34 AM by Aristos »

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 12:10:16 AM »
I think it would be a good easy to make cheap handy accessory. Quick and Easy to put in and take out to clean. Good for indirect.

This is all from a novice but  ;D

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 02:15:26 AM »
I cant remeber if you are in the Sunshine Coast???
here make some calls
https://www.yellowpages.com.au/find/sheet-metal-fabricators/sunshine-coast-qld
Im sure they wont cost that much

get a few extra made for not much more and Im sure you could get rid of them and end up with yours for free

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 03:47:49 AM »
Cheers Snags  :)

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 08:14:13 AM »
I cant remeber if you are in the Sunshine Coast???
here make some calls
https://www.yellowpages.com.au/find/sheet-metal-fabricators/sunshine-coast-qld
Im sure they wont cost that much

get a few extra made for not much more and Im sure you could get rid of them and end up with yours for free

Good idea, You will save even more money if you make a cardboard template for them to mark and cut the stainless. 
Like Dave, I too cut some clay pavers up to fit the kettle curve and stacked a wall at the 75% line.  Very simple but it was what we were talking about how to do it back in 2009 when we didnt have a lot of smoking gadgets available.

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 12:27:24 AM »
You know the funny thing about all this is I don't even have a f.....g Weber kettle yet ;D
I'm still looking for a good second hand one. Oh well it doesn't hurt to be prepared and do some research into how to use it. :)

cheers........ Aristos.