Author Topic: That time of year again  (Read 127 times)

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
  • Vegetarian is old tribal word for bad hunter
    • View Profile
That time of year again
« on: July 14, 2017, 10:05:49 AM »
Got 2 1/2 Kilos of Salmon Cold Smoking and 3 kilos of Cheese in there as well. Got to be some benefits of winter.

Photos tomorrow hopefully.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: That time of year again
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 10:05:22 PM »
G'day
Can't wait to see the cold smoke generator in action
http://aussiecue.dudeworld.com.au/STC/index.php?topic=697.0
Regards dave

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 06:36:21 AM »
Didn't end  using that one because it's been unreliable and keeps going out, got some tweaking to do and didn't want to that experiment with such a nice piece of Salmon.

Didn't get any photos of the smoking going on but will take one of the finished product. 22 hours using the ProQ cold smoke generator with Apple sawdust. Refilled the tray once and it went all night. It's the most reliable little gadget.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 01:14:32 AM »
G'day
I'm building one myself it will run off a compressor line. If they are unreliable I'm going to press ahead with the mk 1 tube smoker I have now, if the pellets are squashed down and I lite it with a blow torch it works well.
Thanks for the heads up
Regards dave

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 04:31:52 AM »
Dave,

I think mine is unreliable because the tin is just too big.

The capacity of it takes a heap of sawdust or chips and I think having the holes in the side doesn't allow for enough air flow into the tin for the pump running the air through the top to create the right amount of draw.

I'm going to try punching a few holes in the bottom of the tin and lifting it up with a bolt in each corner and see if that doesn't improve it. Otherwise I'll try a smaller container because all of the commercial ones I've seen are nowhere near as big as the tin I'm using.

Your idea of using the compressor means you can probably tweak the air flow a lot more, give it a go because you never know the answer if you don't ask the question.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:44:10 AM »
G'day
The cocktail shaker was the expensive piece. $5.50 from the local cheaply store. The rest was stuff that I had lying around. Yes I know the braising pretty ordinary!
From what you have said I probably need a grate 25 mm from the bottom. Holes in the bottom and some legs to hold it up. So I'll go toward with that as a plan.
For now I'm experimenting on some Coles bought salmon pieces with the mk 1 tube generator.
Regards Dave