Author Topic: Meat at Costco  (Read 156 times)

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Meat at Costco
« on: June 27, 2017, 09:19:22 AM »
Hi all,

There is a Costco about 45 min drive south of me, is it worth buying your meat there? Can you buy smaller amounts and is it good quality stuff.
Or maybe would it be better to just stick with one of the local butcher's here on the Coast.
By the time I pay for extra petrol and time maybe it's of no benefit .
What's your experience with Costco.

cheers.

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Meat at Costco
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »
We don't have a costco on the Goldy and I've never shopped in one but from what I can glean, To make it worth while after paying the dollars just to be eligible to shop there, One must really shop there often.
45 min is the time it takes me to drive up to Logan Ikea,,, And that might happen once every two years due to the distance alone.
If it was a costco instead, I doubt I would join up as its just too far to be of use.

The meat is supposed to be OK. Lots of US cuts for the smoker boys. 
If there was one in my area I would join for sure. 

chrisg

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »
Hmm,

I used to use them in the States, within walking distance - a bit different, meat was ok, but for a 45 minute drive I'd be looking for a good local butcher :) Apart from anything else you can build up a rapport with a butcher - not going to happen at Costco :)

Cheers
The kettle is king the Q is quick

Grunter

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:51:14 AM »
Hi Aristos

We have been a few times, when we were heading down anyway.  I wouldn't make a special trip.

The meat is cheaper, some very cheap.

As mentioned, they have a reasonable range of the smoking cuts.

There may be other bulk foods that you would pick up on the same trip.  Fuel is also cheap, if you are stopping in anyway.

The Dane

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 08:01:50 PM »
You can get a free visitors day pass, just to have a look. You can not buy. But it's good just to have a look. My wife wanted to join and she loved the bulk everything. Thing that turned me off was getting there was half hour coming back was 50 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Davo

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 04:51:21 AM »
You really need to be aware of the narrow use by date on the meat there, especially pork or chicken.
Love playing seagull when they do cooking demos hehe.
My favourite meat to buy at Costco is tri-tip and the thin yaki-niku beef & pork packs.

Cheers

Davo
If ya want it to work...ya gotta hold your mouth right!!

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 08:09:18 AM »
You really need to be aware of the narrow use by date on the meat there, especially pork or chicken.
Love playing seagull when they do cooking demos hehe.
My favourite meat to buy at Costco is tri-tip and the thin yaki-niku beef & pork packs.

Cheers

Davo
Gday Davo, Hope all is well.   I do remember you saying this and it stuck in my mind. Quite an important observation re the use by dates and buying in bulk.  I guess it could be managed with cryovac and sufficient freezer storage once you have the pork or poultry back home. 
I've been bitten by other large butcher outlets myself with pork that did not last just a few days in the fridge waiting for the intended cook day. You never know the kill day.
I once had a butcher tell me what the kill day was, Usually one or two days prior or at least what day to order for the freshest pork.

Davo

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
Doing ok altho not much time these days to play on forums let alone bbq.
My  gear has been rather neglected of late and even when i do get a chance to use them, what i've cooked isn't even worth talking about.

We don't have a big freezer and at the moment its full of light n easy frozen fare lol but when i get to costco i usually whack it in the freezer untill i get some motivation to light up the Webers.....read above  lol.
Its only me and Mrs...i'm sure the amount we buy isn't worth the membership but oh well....at least next time we go to japan..we can visit there. Each store over there is at least twice the size of the Sydney stores.

Hope all is well on your end Mick and everyone here on the forum.

Cheers

Davo
If ya want it to work...ya gotta hold your mouth right!!