Author Topic: Aussie native ingredients  (Read 118 times)

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
  • Vegetarian is old tribal word for bad hunter
    • View Profile
Aussie native ingredients
« on: June 25, 2017, 12:18:51 AM »
I've ordered a few goodies from the Taste Australia bushfoods shops and wanted to know if anyone has used any of these ingredients before.

Got Lemon Myrtle, Pepperberry, Muntries Chutney, Saltbush, Sea Parsley, Wattleseed and Tanami Fire seasoning on the way.

I've used pepper berries before when doing Pastrami and can't wait to see how the others go on different meats.

Going to be fun I think.

Bill44

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie native ingredients
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:28:02 AM »
I've not used any but I did notice Saltbush in your list. If you can get Lamb that has been eating Saltbush you are in for a taste treat.
The fattest Knight at the round table was Sir Cumference, that came from eating too much pi.

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 12:49:41 AM »
I grow lemon myrtle, aniseed myrtle,as well as other bush tucker fruits.

I use lemon myrtle instead of lemon grass its that real lemony taste that is familiar in lollies from your child hood.
I also use aniseed myrtle in cakes and biscuits its a spicy aniseed almost cinaminy too

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 06:46:19 AM »
Dont see them often, But Mountain Mick's (RIP) "Convict Rub" that he blended for aussie wood is full of native spices. I've been using that for years and always enjoy it.
I had a lemon myrtle tree in Sydney so quite familiar with that, The rest is all very exotic to me.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 07:40:43 AM »
G'day smokey
You have one of the rariest and sort after Aussie bush ingredients in your back yard now. Native bush honey. Can't wait to hear what you have to say when you try it.... it's got a totally different taste to what your expecting.
If you don't split that hive in October you can take the super off in Jan/feb and collect the honey.
Regards dave

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 02:39:59 AM »
I've not used any but I did notice Saltbush in your list. If you can get Lamb that has been eating Saltbush you are in for a taste treat.

I noticed they were using this lamb on Masterchef the other night and had a look. It can be ordered online but at $350 for a full beast it's a bit out of my budget at the moment. Going to save up the petty cash and get a half beast at the first opportunity.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 09:45:45 AM »
G'day
My grandad was a shearer and sheared away all the time. Remember him in the 60s and 70s bringing home "saltbush" country lamb. It arrived with its legs tied and its Baa still operating. I'd love to say I Could remember that lamb but I can't.
I pricked up my ears 5maybe 10 yrs ago when ( possibly) a late line? program had a farmer planting the saltbush as it had been over grazed, and this would replace the pasture with what was needed to the long term survivial in these dry inviroment.
We often forget that sheep are a pretty tough sort of stock and survive in the dry and the tough feed. Put them on the coast they get foot rot and bloat and worms from the lush feed. Put them over the great divide in the dry and they thrive. So do the bloody rabbits! But that's another story.
Regards dave

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 01:09:52 AM »
They've arrived.

First on the list is a Saltbush and Pepperberry Squid inspired by a Mark Olive recipe I saw on SBS a while ago. Next will be a batch of Smoked Goat Ribs with Tanami Fire rub and vegies.

I'm looking forward to this lot of experiments, got a few days off work, no adult supervision, a fridge full of beer and a few BBQ's. Watch this space.

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 03:03:01 AM »
G/Day Gus 65,

Looking forward to the results.
Beers always taste better when your Cuein :) and more so when your not supervised ;)

cheers