Author Topic: Lard.  (Read 198 times)

hoddo

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
Lard.
« on: June 21, 2017, 05:52:24 AM »
Made some lard last night. 1.5 kilo of backfat trimmed of any meat, cut into about 10mm cubes, into a heavy pot and onto very low heat. Added 1/4 cup of water to help prevent fat burning till it started to render. Took a while and regular stirring till it started to render down, but once it was deep frying 1 had the fat at 230f  and it didn't burn. Took about 3-4 hrs till the lardons (think croutons made of pig fat) were not getting any smaller and a nice brown. Poured the rendered lard thru a strainer into a jar to cool, looked like about 450ml. Returned the pan to high heat, crisped up the lardons and smoked out the house. Tossed lardons in salt and pepper, they are nice, not a strong flavor,taste like the crunchy fat under the crackling on a pork roast, I am having a hard time not eating them all. Cooled lard is a nice white and odorless. 

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Lard.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 08:22:39 AM »
Nice, whatcha gunna do with it?  I got a goodly amount with the two ducks I roasted last week and am looking forward to roughed up baked veg.

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:04:32 AM »
I keep bacon fat in a container in the fridge, that I use to cook things that need that flavour
I also have a big container of duck fat that I collect in the freezer, that comes out for roast potatoes or confit.
Ive just got some blade with a big wedge of fat on it that I will render down and keep for when Im cooking steaks or roasts.

Bentley

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:48:30 PM »
Pig fat, and if ya wanna get real Southern, bacon fat is what the Grandma's swear make the best biscuits!
If God is your Co-pilot, switch seats...

Bill44

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 09:50:27 PM »
For biscuits read Scones.
The fattest Knight at the round table was Sir Cumference, that came from eating too much pi.

Aristos

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 11:52:50 PM »
I've got the cheats Duck fat in a tub from Coles.
I use it on all my roasted veggies now,good stuff. :)

Bill44

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 02:20:13 AM »
Aristos so do we, been buying the duck fat ever since it became available. It's a bit hard to collect the duck fat from a spit, especially when it's loaded up a la Chinese Duck. :)
The fattest Knight at the round table was Sir Cumference, that came from eating too much pi.

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 03:52:28 AM »
I usually take the breasts and legs off
and roast the carcass  for a soup stock
So collect from breast and carcass and use on legs for confit and then collect from that when its been used