Author Topic: Sweet Corn  (Read 97 times)

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Sweet Corn
« on: June 11, 2017, 10:09:19 AM »
G'day
Love my sweet corn and experimented with a few different ways and flavoured butters etc but I come back to 2 simple ways to cook a cob.
Whole cob husk intact into the micro wave. Sap 3 mins 1000watt and it's done. Could be that not be simpler and it tastes really really good!
BBQ... again don't husk, who cares about the silk. Onto the BBQ grill turn up to 4 to 6 times over 15 min and it's done. The inside will be steamed and the outside burnt. But it's the besttest corn.
And finally when it's not sweet and fresh like tonight's. Peel back
The husks and melt some butter and brown sugar together ( equal Amounts roughly). Spread over the cobs pull back husks string at the end and onto the BBQ. They will not know unless you tell them.
Regards dave

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Corn
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »
Microwaved or charred for me.
I love corn I was eating heaps in Thailand over coal
My dad has a great variety I havent had much luck trying to grow here
Its not so fake sweet its a more corny variety heirloom corn he has grown all his life.
I will give it another go when the weather warns up,I dont have many seeds left,hopefully it works this time

hoddo

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 10:02:35 PM »
I'm not a fan of the super sweet F1 varieties, I grew a few heritage ones a few years ago, they were good but the sugars convert to starch very quickly so if you didn't pick them at just the right time they weren't much good.

Bentley

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 01:38:28 AM »
I like the Silver Queen variety they have over here.  Almost white, nice sweetness that goes well with the salt and butter.

Do you all enjoy corn pudding?

Cookie

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 05:24:20 AM »
To spice it up a little you can always make a herbed or spicy butter the options are practically unlimited.

Keith :) :)
Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do. Keith: many years ago.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 06:56:35 AM »
I like the Silver Queen variety they have over here.  Almost white, nice sweetness that goes well with the salt and butter.

Do you all enjoy corn pudding?

G'day
The little I can figure out it's egg soufflé but what is it served with? Is it a sweet dish or a side dish with a main meal. Probably a bit sweeter than Aussie tastes
Regards dave

Bentley

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:47:44 PM »
It is just a side dish, more prevalent in the South here. I do not like mine on the sweet side, so I don't add the amount of sugar most do.