Author Topic: Gentlemans Knives  (Read 252 times)

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
Gentlemans Knives
« on: June 03, 2017, 07:26:24 AM »
Who carries and Every Day Carry gents knife?
The little buck squire at top of the first pic has been on my tool belt for near on 25 years.
Its still a great little utility knife.
Recently I found out that "Flipper" knives were legalised in Australia so I snapped up a Zero Tolerance 0450 in titanium scales and SV35vn blade.
Fantastic little knife and opens like it has a spring  :)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Vn2y6N]
[url=https://flic.kr/p/Vn2vqN]

Show us your favourite little work horses  :D

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Gentlemans Knives
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 09:03:44 AM »
G'day
I love the leatherman multitool this is my secound the first broke a spring on the plyers and this is the replacement. They have a 25 year guarantee. 
I use all the tools except the scissors they are just to small. The two most common used tools are the plyers used too  grip anything and the serrated blade my cardboard box cutter. All the tools inside and out are "lock bladed" so they don't fold back when you least expect it. And the slot down the side of the blade means you can pop the blade out to the locked position one handed. The plyers are a bit tricker but I can get them out one handed as 16 years is a bit of practice.
It's a multi tool and comes in handy, you don't wander off to find a screw driver for a couple of screws when you have one of these on your hip, but if you have a couple of doz to do get the battery drill.
The straight blade hasn't required sharpening as yet a strop on my leather strop at work keeps it keen. My last wasn't to bad at bonding an edge for stainless either. Believe it or not the wood saw gets a workout. Any thing that's thicker than my hand pruner gets saw.
I keep it in a pouch on my belt and with the fashion of shirts out not tucked in pants these days no one knows I have a "gasp" knife on me.
Regards dave

steve r

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 11:42:41 PM »
I have one on the belt and one in the pocket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chrisg

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 12:55:17 AM »
 :)

I seem to have had a Leatherman all my life, I'm on my third but only because I give them away to family and trade up ;)

Day to day I just carry a Swiss Army, seem to have three of those as well, they are useful because you can just chuck them in your pocket, not quite so easy for a Leather - I take that to work.

I also have a couple of combat knives i "forgot" to hand in when I left service -nobody cares anyway :)

This is my favorite:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/IXSF71490/sheffield-fairbairn-sykes-british-commando-dagger-black.

It's in my desk drawer right now, more to scare off the occasional hooligan than anything, we get them, me with the Fairbaby,  palm down, blade up, the right way with a combat knife - they leave - quickly ;)

Cheers

The kettle is king the Q is quick

The Dane

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:25:19 PM »
What are laws on carrying a knife these days? Even in the boot of the car, some large ones

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:07:58 AM »
It varies from state to state and according to your occupation

chrisg

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:17:44 AM »
What are laws on carrying a knife these days? Even in the boot of the car, some large ones

Hmm,

It varies, being I'm sort of ex-mil,, complicated story, I can carry pretty much anything, otherwise you need a permit, in theory.

Being I had to deal with a knife wielding druggie a few weeks back, which my legs are not thanking me for, I'd suggest they are readily available on the street and the cops cant search everyone.

But what is defined as a knife ?

My kid brother, who has never been in the services but is a full time tradie always has a Stanley on him, it's part of his trade tool needs 

Cheers

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 07:14:15 AM »
Gday
It varies wildly from state to state Qld I know it's a bit more liberal. And as smokey says the laws changed recently to include "flipper" blades. A quick
Flick of the wrist and the blades locked open, no spring only the action of your hand. Under the old laws a folding blade needed two hands to be opened in 5 secs. Crazy as I can open a leather man blade with one hand using my thumb in under a secound.
The law is big on intent. Buy a machete from bunnings and put it in the boot of your car and transport it from place to place to hiking trips is alright.
Buy one from bunnings unsheathed down beside your car seat shows intent to do something nasty and the law takes a dim view of your intentions.
Regards Dave

The Dane

• Dishwasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 11:58:31 PM »
I got pulled over @ 5am last year going to work by the police, i leave all my Metal Detecting gear in the car, i keep all my sharp stuff in the undercarriage of the Kruger  (no one can see it) any way i come close to having my Lesche Digger and relic digger confiscated. I said to the police i have 2 serrated mini shovels that are ok to keep? Anyway I was allowed to keep them in the end. Even though they are in sheaths. I have both hanging off my belt when I do the parks.

chrisg

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 01:18:17 AM »
 :)

Cops can be funny buggers - in simpler times I was an instructor at our local pistol club and a local cop whom I quite liked joined. I was paper punching using my .44 Automag, which in case you don't know is an extremely powerful pistol. Realistically you only ever fire it using Weaver Stance.

He watches me for a few minutes and then as I'm re-loading asks if he can have a go.

Sure I say and pass the empty gun and full mag over to him.

He loads up and before I can stop him takes a single handed stance.

"NO!!!" I yell - too late, the recoil flips the gun up and cracks him on the forehead. didn't knock him out but sure dazed him.

I very carefully took the gun from him, unloaded it and put it on the bench whilst telling him to sit down, which he gratefully did.

No blood, no concussion which surprised me but he was going to have one heck of a bruise.

He looked at me very ruefully and said "Powerful gun."

Well yes, compared to the .38s they used to be issued with in those days it certainly is.

I still have it actually, safely stored overseas, could not bring myself to part with it and they are as rare as rocking horse manure.

Cheers