Author Topic: calamari sausage  (Read 274 times)

hoddo

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
calamari sausage
« on: May 25, 2017, 07:08:14 AM »
Gus 65 mentioned the captn's calamari sausage in one of his post and it got me interested. I'm giving it a go tonight with tubes as I couldnt get fresh. Heres the recipe I found

Here is my Calamari Sausage recipe, It can be done on most BBQs a covered one is the best.

1 fresh Calamari or 2 Calamari tubes
2 cloves garlic
2 chillies
1 small piece of ginger finely chopped
1 tablespoon good quality Thai fish sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

If using fresh calamari, clean the Calamari (make sure you strip the hard sucker scales from the legs and skin from the hood) and retain the legs and hood. Put all the ingredients into a blender and blend to a smooth paste. Place the mixture on a sheet of alfoil (shiny side up) and roll into a 25 – 30 mm roll wrap completely in several layers of the alfoil and twist the ends to seal them.
Preheat the Weber Q on high for 10 minutes. Cook the Calamari Sausage for 2 ½ minutes turn and cook for a further 2 ½ minutes. Serve sliced diagonally with a sweet chilli sauce or a Thai dipping sauce.

Recipe prepared by “The Gourmet Cabernet” alias “Captain Cook”

I thought I might try doing some in foil on the kamado at about 300f with the deflector and also try the glad wrap sausage trick and simmer for a while. What'd ya recon?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:10:53 AM by hoddo »

chrisg

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
Re: calamari sausage
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:42:54 AM »
:)

Can't get my wife interested in calamari - love it myself :)

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:47:01 AM by chrisg »
The kettle is king the Q is quick

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 07:51:52 AM »
I have had it Italian style and Vietnamese style stuffed with minced pork,both were excellent
Im a big fan of calamari

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »
Sounds really good,  I wonder if It could be stuffed into collagen sausage casing?
might also give it a try this week end.

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
  • Vegetarian is old tribal word for bad hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:00:26 AM »
Just go with the foil layers in the Kamado and resist the temptation to look at them too early and you'll be right I reckon.

You know the story "If you're looking its not cooking"

Although,  Chicken Roulade works done in glad wrap so it'd probably work but I don't think doing both to the one sausage would be any benefit to you.

Remember the KISS principle and rely on Captain Cook's recipe, I haven't had one fail yet if I've followed it. There's only ever been a hiccup if I decided to fiddle with it like taking the sausage out of the foil to finish on the hotplate too early.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:17:29 AM by Gus65 »

hoddo

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 08:43:09 AM »
Made the paste, in the freezer while i have a beer, it quite thick so should roll ok.
Gus will simmer 1 and the foil 1 to compare. Got a thing about foil so will do baking paper then foil.

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 10:04:09 AM »
I have indirect cooked "Fatties" that were only wrapped in baking paper with ends twisted and tied and that worked really well.
It sounds like it only has to be held together until its firm. 

No need for a binder in this Gus?  I'm guessing the emulsified squid binds back as a solid as it cooks?

Gus65

• Global Moderator
  • Cue Sous Chef
  • Vegetarian is old tribal word for bad hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 10:26:14 AM »
I made it exactly as Phil wrote it and it worked out great. The squid sort of gums up a bit and when you use a stick blender it gets jammed up in it ;)

Because I cooked it completely in the foil then sliced it there wasn't much falling apart going on, the first time when I thought it wasn't cooking fast enough and took it out to finish on the hotplate it did go everywhere. That was mainly because I fiddled with it to stop it sticking.

hoddo

• Chef de Partie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »
here is my try, this is the gladwrap in water on the left, kamado on the right. Internal temp of both 145f average

texture of the boiled sausage is firmer, the kamado cooked one was very soft. Flavor is good, I prefered the boiled one. This next pic is a sausage taken to 170f internal temp on the kamado, firmer but still a soft pate type consistency.

[/URL

I think the kamado with deflector didn't provide enough direct heat to firm up the sausage. I think the boiled sausage at 160f would be very good. I would like to try the alfoil again on a low direct heat to 170f
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 10:50:56 AM by hoddo »

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 11:18:34 AM »
I just had an epiphany, That one that was boiled could be the answer to my wonderings about a breaded sea food bite.
Solves the melting bit of the problem.
That sausage would look good battered  :o

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 10:28:55 PM »
needs brown bits

I was visualising the calamari was the sausage casing thats the only way Ive had it and loved it