Author Topic: Another fermented hot sauce ( with garlic )  (Read 262 times)

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Another fermented hot sauce ( with garlic )
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:54:19 AM »
G'day
Long story. Starts with some chicken wings. Discovered Franks hot sauce reignited a long simmering chillie sauce adiction. Of course I remember smokeys fermented chillie sauce... so here I am.
15 red chilies and 4 fat green chilies from a friend of a friends garden. They are not too hot like the birds eyes in my garden.
Wrap a cutting board in plastic wrap, glove up and cut all that fruit up. 1/2 the seeds remain 1/2 the seed in a couple of plastic bags to ferment the seeds so hopefully they will grow next year( same as tomato seeds)
Into a glass jar made about a cup full. Chop up 4 garlic cloves and add to the mix.
Add a cup and a bit of brined water. 1 cup of water boiled in the kettle ( gets rid of the chlorine that will kill you natural bugs) one heaped teaspoon sea salt. Cover the fruit with brine and seal the jar with plastic wrap and rubber band. One pin hole in the middle so the gasses can escape. Used to do the same with home brew in the day. The co2 being heavier displaces the air and maintains a raft of protection over the brew.
I inoculate with the wey off some yoghurt.
3 days later the fruit has sunk no floaty bits but a smell of the pin hole in the top is good, smells like capsicum with some sharp funky overtones. Very pleasant and not stinky.
Plan is to let it ferment in a dark cupboard for 2 to  4 weeks. If it grows some mold on top unseal and scrape it off.
Then I'll will wiz it up add some vinegar,  bottle, and mature in the fridge.
Regards dave
PS the white cloudness and the bubbles are supposed to be good
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:58:26 AM by Cobblerdave »

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Another fermented hot sauce ( with garlic )
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
Looking good Dave, I'm not getting any action on my currant batch. Or if it is its going very slow.
But then again my last batch did the same. Always learning with this stuff.
I think this week end I will visit the home brew shop and get a pouch of fermented vegetable starter and see what that does. 

Snags

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:33:40 AM »
A bit of whey from the yoghurt will kick it along

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 11:35:40 AM »
G'day
Basically at the 2 week mark.
Still the capsicum/ funky smell, very pleasant.
Chillies are floating up
Getting cloudy bits on the bottom.
Smells good so it's going alright.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 03:38:43 AM »
G'day
Day off and this thing has settled in the amount of bubbles so I'm going to finish it.
Fruit and brine all in a blender and wizz well. Put through a strainer to remove the last of the skins and seeds. Got 375mm of pretty red juice into a saucepan with 100mm apple cider vinegar. 20 to 25 per cent vinegar to help preserve it. It's pretty salty so I add 3 teaspoons sugar which takes the edge off the salt but you can't taste any sweetness. The sauce is pretty thin like Tabasco and will probly need shaking ever time love that Brite red colour. It fairly hot by my standards but not silly hot. Recon the garlic flavour will increase
Got 2 small bottles for myself ( hopefully) and 2 small tasters for my workmates.
So it's into the the fridge for the taste to mature so we will see how it goes in a couple of weeks.
Regards dave

Smokey

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 10:22:45 AM »
Now that's how ya do it  ;D
There is a great feeling of pride when you sprinkle your own home made fermented hot sauce over one's eggs or sardines on toast. 
Well done Dave, A perfect batch  8)
No looking back now.

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 10:22:28 AM »
G'day
The sauce has been in the fridge for a couple weeks now and it was time for a taste test.
Smell first thing that you get when you open the bottle and it smells great make you hungry so that's a good sign.
The garlic has had time "develop" and it's doing its job of flavour inhancer.
The chillies are fruity and have been that "matured" flavour not as mature as Tabasco but very pleasant.
Salty, yes plenty salty pleasantly salty like "Franks hot sauce"
How hot? Yep a bit hot but not unpleasantly so. I'm not a hot hot eater I like my tastebuds thank you, so this works really well.
I am going to make this again and I'm hoping to grow some chillies as well buying at $18 a kilo it's pretty expensive sauce. I hoping the chillies grower likes the sauce.....
Regards dave