Author Topic: Chicken Curry  (Read 92 times)

chrisg

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Curry
« on: May 01, 2017, 06:35:19 AM »
 :)

I really have not made one of these in a while and usually I do them in a slow cooker but it is damned cold over here at the moment, the BOM says it is 22C, maybe in the city, my car says 15C and so does my skin, and the wind chill is probably taking a few more degres oos as well so, indoor cooking and being so cold despite my taking the drummies out last night they had still not totally thawed at 10am.

I was a bit averse to shopping in that temperature so I went digging in the cupboards and ended up with this:

Drummies in a casserole with three quartered up potatoes, quite a lot of curry powder, onion flakes, hardly ever used them before but we had some, a bit of cayenne, a bit of salt, some Vegeta stock and some mixed veg from the freezer. A couple of other things but TBH I'm a tidy cook so I put them away as I added them :)

Into the oven, covered at 160 C - wow, within an hour we were in an Indian restaurant. :)

Turned it down to 150, checked liquid levels, did a taste test, all good, spicy, but we like that so no ache, just letting it mature now, I doubt it will need anything other than eating, rice is a possibility but I think the potatoes are sufficient.

Curries - always worth a bit of experimenting, that's what the Indians do :)

Cheers

The kettle is king the Q is quick

Cobblerdave

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Curry
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 11:28:53 AM »
G'day chris
Yum just the thought of drumsticks in a slow cooked curry. Baked a few on the BBQ but never really considered them for slow. Did enought marylands drumstick and thigh but never thought of drumsticks by themselves. That I'll
Have to try.
Regards dave

Ozymandias

• Cue Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 03:26:31 PM »
A bit of rice, or even better, some home made flat bread, a beer or a glass of Lassi, a good man can ask for no more!

My question...the result is more soupy or thickened/saucy? How do you control  thickness of the sauce? Do you finish uncovered?
My name is Ozymandias, king of kings.
Look upon my works, ye mighty and despair
~Percival Shelley~

chrisg

• Administrator
  • Exec Cue Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 03:26:23 PM »
:)

Oh sorry Ozy, missed your question, yeah usually I uncover for the last 30 mins and keep the heat high, reduces down nicely :)

Curries are pretty hard to mess up really and luckily I'm married to a woman who loves them as much as I do :)

Cheers

The kettle is king the Q is quick